The 3 "Actual Cases" show what can happen when adults sustain a brain injury. It is for these reasons our Committee For Social Justice endorses the Civil Rights Now's Proposal which the British Columbia Green Party and the BC Civil Liberties Association also support. "Civil Rights Now" is a registered, non-partisan not-for-profit organization whose goal is to have laws passed by the legislature which will ensure persons with disabilities living in British Columbia RECEIVE EQUAL BENEFIT AND EQUAL PROTECTION OF THE LAW. Such laws must give practical force and effect to the section 15 equality provisions of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
The website civilrightsnow.ca fully describes the problems of people with disabilities and explains in the "Proposal" two statutes that could remedy the situation. CRN's "Think Twice" campaign elaborates on the need for the proposed legislation and outlines a few simple steps on how YOU can add your support.
- Contact your MLA. One way is to use your postal code on website "Find my MLA -Legislative Assembly of British Columbia"
- Provide them with the Civil Rights Now Proposal - via email or in person.
- Ask for their public commitment to support the proposed law.
- Let them know your future vote and those of your family and friends depend on their public statement of support.
- Let Civil Rights Now know how the MLA responded. They will post all responses on THEIR website.